Health & Wellness

Skip Navigation Links Current Location: : Health & Wellness : Resources : Transfers


The following has been compiled by the Transfer Mentors for the needs of Transfer Students. However, this information is good for just about everyone at UCSB. Many of the resources mentioned below can be found on the wellness website by clicking on the RESOURCES button.

Transfer Mentor Team – The Transfer Mentors are two staff members on campus who are dedicated to transfer issues. They send monthly electronic newsletters geared towards transfer students. Make sure you have activated your Umail account to begin receiving these newsletters. The Transfer Mentors are also available for one-on-one appointments and email questions. Please see below for contact information.

  • Gina Gonzales, Office of Admissions, 805-893-4518
  • Suzanne Perkin, Orientation Programs, 805-893-4364

Transfer Mentor Email Address:

Other Transfer Resources – Michele and Doris have been noted by previous transfer students as helpful resources, especially for Summer Sessions or living in transfer student housing. Their contact information is below.

  • Michele Pino, Resident Director of San Rafael Hall, 805-893-8164
  • Doris O’Leske, Summer Sessions, 805-893-2069

Transfer Academic Advising Services

  1. College Advisors – Students should see a ‘College Academic Advisor’ for questions concerning College graduation requirements, general education and/or IGETC, change of major, transferability of course work, the Honors Program, petitions, 200 unit cap concerns, withdrawal, deficit loads, research and awards, and probation issues. College academic advisors in all three colleges (Letters and Science, Engineering, and Creative Studies) are available by appointment and drop-in on a daily basis. Please see the links below for more information.

  2. Major Advisors – Students should see the ‘Undergraduate Advisor’ in their major department for questions concerning prerequisite checking and clearance, progress in the major and major requirements, internship and research opportunities, course waiting lists, and any questions about professors. Transfer Students are encouraged to see their major advisor at least once per quarter.

  3. Career Advising – Career Services offers career advising on a walk-in and appointment basis. Their website also offers a wealth of information. Check it out at: Additionally, they offer quarterly seminars on such topics as graduate school preparation, resume writing, interview preparation, and internship and volunteer opportunities.

  4. Study Skills – Campus Learning Assistance Service (CLAS) offers study skills workshops in note-taking, time management, exam preparation, reading and remembering, etc. See their web site for more information:

  5. Transferability of Courses from CA Community Colleges – The ASSIST website, has a wealth of information concerning transferability of courses from CA community colleges to the University of California. You may look up which courses will earn transfer credit and which course equivalents you have credit for here at UCSB. There is also information on general education and IGETC.

Getting Involved

The Office of Student Life host over 300 student clubs and organizations. For a full list, see Transfer students are encouraged to join clubs and organizations to facilitate meeting new friends as well as building skills for future job and graduate school preparation. Their events are also listed on the PROGRAMS page.

Students interested in playing an intramural sport are encouraged to sign up at the Recreation Center. You do not need to know anyone else to sign up. They will assign you to a team. For more information see Their events are listed also on the PROGRAMS page.

UCSB hosts many events around campus daily. Transfer students are encouraged to check out the PROGRAMS page of this website for events at the Women’s Center, MultiCultural Center, Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity, Arts and Lectures, Associated Students, and many more. Weekly concerts, lectures, movies, and musical and theatrical performances are all offered to students either for free or at a reduced cost. All are welcome.

Top 15 Most Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer Students

  1. How can I ride the MTD bus for free? Students need a current registration sticker on their student ID card in order to ride the MTD bus for free. You can request a registration sticker on GOLD to be mailed to your home. For bus schedule information, please check out
  2. How do I crash a class? Most students crash classes by showing up on the first day of class and speaking to the instructor. It is helpful to identify yourself as a transfer student and to explain your reasons for needing to take the class. Some departments keep waiting lists for students who wish to enroll in a class that is full. This is either done online through the department’s website or manually in the departmental undergraduate office. Check with the department to see if this is their process. Finally, some students have found that emailing the instructor of the course before the first day of class to be successful. Again, it is helpful to identify yourself as a transfer student and your interest in and reasons for needing to take the course.
  3. What is a New Student Profile? How do I get one? A New Student Profile is an evaluation of credit from the point in which you transferred. It is a one time snapshot of how many units you transferred in with and which University and General Education requirements have been fulfilled. It does not give information about major requirements. New Student Profiles are generally available for students soon after they transfer. You will have a message on GOLD telling you when yours is ready to view. All New Student Profiles are viewed online from the Registrar’s website. The message on GOLD will give you a link to view yours. Please allow adequate time for the profile to load and review it carefully. If you believe there is an error, you must speak with an advisor in your College.
  4. I did IGETC, now I just need to complete my major in order to graduate, right? NO!! This is the most common misconception for transfer students. In order to graduate from UCSB you must fulfill all of your college graduation requirements in addition to your major requirements. If you have any questions about your College requirements, you should speak with an advisor in your college.
  5. Is there a health center on campus? If so, how do I utilize it? The Student Health Service on campus is available to all students for primary care, specialty care, pharmacy, auxiliary medicine, wellness, and health education. This is a great resource for students. More information about Student Health, costs, and insurance, is available at: .
  6. Where can I find help looking for a place to live? The University offers students two places to seek out and find housing. First, for on-campus and university-owned property, students should consult the University Owned Housing website: For off-campus privately owned housing, students should seek the assistance of the Community Housing Office. They are located on the 3rd floor of the University Center. They provide a number of services including vacant listing information and roommate wanted/needed listings. More information about CHO is available at:
  7. Where can I register my bike? Bike registration is highly recommended and required by law! Students can register their bikes with the CSO’s at the University Police Station for a cost of $6. The CSO’s also do bike registration at the beginning of the school year at various locations around campus. For more information, please see: .
  8. How can I purchase a parking permit? Students living further than 2 miles from campus can qualify for and purchase a commuter parking permit to park on campus daily. Students who live on campus may also purchase long-term residential permits. All long-term parking permits are purchased online at . All students are eligible for free night and weekend parking but must register for a night and weekend permit online (available through the same website). Questions should be directed to Parking Services at 805-893-2346.
  9. Are their any services for Re-Entry and Non-Traditional Students? Yes! In the Student Resource Building there is a resource center/lounge for Re-Entry and Non-Traditional Students on the first floor. Additionally, the Women’s Center offers coffee hours at the beginning of every quarter, as well as lockers for student parents, and a lactation room for nursing mothers. The Women’s Center offers a support group for Re-Entry Students and a whole host of services. Any Re-Entry or Non-Traditional students are also encouraged to seek assistance from the College of Letters and Science and/or the Women’s Center.
  10. I am doing poorly in a class? Where can I find help? There are many places to seek help. Tutoring may be available at Campus Learning Assistance Services. If so, you should sign up for group or individual tutoring or utilize their drop-in tutoring labs. Secondly, you should visit your professor and/or teaching assistant in office hours to discuss your concerns and clarify any information from the course which you do not understand. Third, many students find it helpful to form a study group with other students in their class. Ask students in your lecture to form such a group and meet regularly (not just before the exams).
  11. I tried to register for a class but GOLD told me I hadn’t met the prerequisite. But, I took a class at my previous institution that was equivalent to that prerequisite. Why am I having trouble registering? Students who have met prerequisites with transfer work must show proof to the department in order to receive clearance in the registration system. The process for this is to take copies of your transcripts to the department and show the undergraduate advisor that you have completed the published prerequisite. If you have attended a school outside of CA, a CSU, or private college, you may also need to bring a catalog description and a syllabus from the course. Please note: Departments do not have access to the transcripts you sent to the Office of Admissions, nor are these transcripts entered into the registration system. It is the responsibility of the student to take their transcripts to each department for which they believe they need prerequisite clearance.
  12. What is UMail, and why do I need a UMail email address? UMail is the University email system for students. It is very important that you set up your Umail account and check it regularly. Many offices (such as Billing and Financial Aid) only communicate with students through UMail and will not send emails to other addresses. Many students miss out on important information, deadlines, and reminders by not setting up or not checking their UMail account. To set-up your account or for more information about UMail, please visit:
  13. When do I have to pay my fees each quarter? Student fees are due by 4pm on September 15 for fall quarter, December 15 for winter quarter, and March 15 for spring quarter. Failure to pay or defer your fees by those dates may result in a registration lapse (i.e. being dropped from any courses you are registered in) and a re-enrollment fee of $50. If you are concerned about financial aid payout or paying fees out of pocket by the deadline, you must visit the BARC Office (on the first floor of the Student Affairs and Administrative Services Building) to set up an alternative payment plan.
  14. I was in EOPS at my community college. Is there anything equivalent here? Yes! The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is here and welcomes all students. Their primary mission is to support low-income and first generation college students with the transition to and advancement through UCSB. Interested students should visit the EOP Office in Building 434 or the Student Resource Building. Counseling, cultural services, activities, social events, and academic support is all available through EOP.
  15. Where and when can I request a senior progress check? Students who have reached 135 units should visit the Office of the Registrar on the first floor of the Student Affairs and Administrative Services Building (SAASB) to request a senior progress check. This check will provide an evaluation of the requirements you have fulfilled as well as the requirements you have left to fulfill to graduate. You may only request a senior progress check once.

Contact us at